MARKET MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Responsible to the Board of Directors (the Board), the Market Manager plays a vital role in the operation of Kemptville Farmers’ Market (KFM). The Manager’s main responsibility is for the day of operations of the Market and will assist and work with the Board of Directors in working with vendors, other stakeholders and to ensure that strategic plans for the organization are developed and implemented.
- Assist the Board to utilize the reporting process, so that the Board is always aware of issues in the Market.
- Assist with Board committees to develop and implement strategic and action plans such as major site plan changes, emergency readiness plans, etc.
- Attend Board meetings approximately once a month.
- Assists with grant preparation for the upcoming season
MARKET PREPARATION & SETUP
- Create and distribute weekly site plans by Friday evening
Daily Set-up and Take-down
- Arrive at the Market at a scheduled time prior to operating hours in order to set up
KFM tables and tents, mark out booth spaces, and to greet vendors when they arrive
- Assist vendors with set-up as needed
- At the end of the Market day, ensure that the area is clean and meets all requirements laid out in the rental or lease agreement
- Be visible and accessible to vendors, customers and volunteers at all times during Market hours
- Respond to vendors’ needs as required
- Provide a clean and safe environment for shoppers and vendors
- Ensure the First Aid Kit is accessible and fully stocked
- Ensure needed equipment and supplies are available at all markets and that any needed maintenance is performed
- Conduct an annual inventory of equipment and supplies
- Organize storage facilities
- Implement the emergency response plan designed by the Board if necessary
- Assist the Board at interpreting the Market rules for vendors and others in a consistent and fair manner
- Ensure that all vendors have received and read the Market’s rules at the start of the season, and whenever a new vendor enters the Market
DISPUTE RESOLUTION & EMERGENCY PROCEDURES
- Mediate disputes between vendors or between vendors and customers on Market Day. If necessary, refer any escalated disputes to the Board for settlement.
- A working knowledge of legislation and associated regulations, both provincial and federal, which impact Market vendors
- Ensure vendors and the Market operations are in compliance with local bylaws, and provincial and federal legislation
- Work with inspectors and vendors to ensure any regulatory issues are addressed.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT & RECORD-KEEPING
- Maintain complete and accurate written records throughout the Market season, including but not limited to petty cash, fee collection, issuing receipts and reconciliation on market days.
- Coordinate with the Treasurer and or Treasurer’s replacement as required
RECRUITMENT & RETENTION
- Ensure all vendors have completed an application form listing up-to-date contact and product information
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with all vendors
- Provide input in the form of a Market Manager’s Report regarding vendor issues and experiences for the KFM Annual General Meeting
- Recruit and train volunteers for Market operation.
- Schedule and manage volunteers and volunteer activities
- Respond to all vendor inquiries about the Market in a timely manner
- Communicate respectfully with vendors, Board members, sponsors & other stakeholders
- Assist in the implementation of special events at the Market
- Assist the Board in conducting periodic surveys (as provided by the Board), both formal and informal, to elicit customer feedback, and provide the results in a written report to the Board
- Receive input from vendors and others regarding Market improvement, and provide written results to the Board
- Identify applicable professional development activities, and obtain Board approval to attend
- Provide a written report to the Board regarding such professional development activities
- Carry out other duties or instructions relevant to Market operation, as identified by the Board.